Saturday, February 6, 2016

After climbing out of the 2016 Nissan Pathfinder and into the 2016 Nissan Murano, I immediately found myself disappointed and missing the larger SUV.

For a comparable price point, around $46,000, I just felt the Pathfinder offered a lot more bang, AND luxury, for your buck! The exterior of the Murano is definitely more modern looking, with curves comparable to the Evoque, but even so - it still didn’t impress me much. The Arctic Blue exterior and black leather interior combination didn’t pop, maybe I would have liked it more if it were black or red on the outside, with a white or tan on the inside.

On a positive note, it definitely has a lot of power! You barely have to touch the gas pedal before the speedometer starts to climb. In case you’re wondering, the Murano Platinum is 6-cylinder, 260 hp. However, I must say, I found it to be a bit of a gas guzzler. More than the Pathfinder. According to Nissan it gets 11.2 city and 8.3 hwy L/100km.

The other thing that I didn’t like was the interior trim. Which is surprising, because they changed it from the fake wood panel look that I REALLY detest to a more updated brushed silver trim. It just looks really cheap. Even after a week of driving it it still didn’t grow on me.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad vehicle, there’s lots to like - panoramic moon roof, push start engine, heated side mirrors and blind spot alert, heated/cooling seat control in the front and heated seats in the back, heated steering wheel, 11-speaker Bose stereo system, great back view camera with overview split screen to help you park, and power tail gate controlled by the main fob. It drives like a sedan, hugging corners, very smooth over bumps, and great braking. However, the collision warning system was less than par. It didn’t always work, and when it did I found it to be too quiet, I could barely hear it. Parking in tight spots wasn’t a problem, it was easy to see out the front and the back-up camera was very clear.

Also, unlike the Pathfinder, there is a button in the trunk that you can press and then a lever to pull, to lay down the back seats. Press and hold the button again, and voila, they pop back up. I love that feature! Nissan please add this to the next Pathfinder!

There’s some other nice details that I appreciated – sunglass holder on the roof near the moon roof control, USB outlet in the front and back, and a headphone jack next to the driver. Oh yeah, and a smartphone compartment for the back passengers. It’s the little things, right?! The back seats are a 40/60 split, and the middle partition folds down to double as a couple holder. It’s a comfy ride for all; nice leather seats and very roomy.

So… luxury…? Sure, I guess to a point, but I feel they cheaped out a bit too much in the interior look and tech features.




Amanda Risser
Luxury, New Car Blogger






No comments:

Post a Comment